CVV January Update

Greetings!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday and Happy New Year!

As a quick recap, when we last left off, the Boulder County Clerk's office announced that they had decided NOT to buy any "DRE" touch-screen units at this time and to use centrally scanned paper ballots for the 2004 election.

Everyone who has worked with Citizens for Verifiable Voting should be proud of this accomplishment, which is exactly what we set out to do.

HOWEVER, we're not done yet.

We have not heard any confirmation of the Public Hearing that the Commissioners announced at our 12/4 presentation, and we do not know if the Commissioners have officially voiced our citizen concerns to the Secretary of State.

We have asked the County to lease a system instead of buying anything at this time, and we have asked that the Commissioners and Clerk's Office include CVV in their decision making process once they do look at buying an optical scan system.

ALSO, the "DRE" is just one issue with Electronic Voting, and I know many of CVV's members and participants are concerned about the broader issue and its implications. There are efforts underway to modify Colorado election law to enforce the use of paper ballots, and I hope everyone will stay ready to take action in the near future to support passage of such legislation.

I encourage you to ALSO join and participate in the Colorado statewide group, Coloradans for Voting Integrity, which in addition to working on legislation related to Paper Ballots and against DREs in our state, will also be dealing with issues such as the "Electronic Pollbook."

Their website is:

http://www.countthevotecolorado.org/

and they operate a mailing list on their site, as well.

I would also like to personally thank everyone who has been involved for all their hard work and dedication to this issue, and for working to "do the right thing" for our shared community here in Boulder County. I look forward to continuing to work with all of you in the New Year to help make sure that we have a fair and accurate election in November, and active and engaged citizens beyond that.

Joe