From: Pete Klammer [mailto:pklammer@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 1:08 AM
To: AlKolwicz@xxxxxxxxx; 'Evan Daniel Ravitz'
Cc: 'Citizens for Verifiable Voting'; 'CVV Steering Committee'
Subject: RE: Can we consense on hand-counting for 2004?

One question I have been wrestling with "This file should be made public" is
the matter of identifying marks.  If I want to convince Al that I voted for
him, I could put scribble "PK+AK" in a stray area of the ballot.  Or maybe
just a couple funny marks in funny places that we both agreed on.  Then Al
could search the contents of the WORM for our agreed-on stray marks, and pay
me the $0.50 we agreed on for sale of my vote when I found it.

I thought about screening the published version of the WORM with a mask, but
then whoever runs the mask could also move the vote marks around.

Or more subtle, I could make my vote selection marks special; maybe instead
of "X"'s I could fill the boxes with "A"'s and "K"'s.  Or whatever.  Not a
problem if the ballots are machine-marked; but are we going to prohibit
hand-marked ballots?

Best hopes,
--
Pete Klammer / ACM(1970), IEEE, ICCP(CCP), NSPE(PE), NACSE(NSNE)
    3200 Routt Street / Wheat Ridge, Colorado 80033-5452