[no subject]

At 7 a.m., we opened the polls, and head judge Jim cast the first vote, to
a round of applause from all of us. Voters trickled in, but at a slow
pace. I felt some hostility from my fellow judges. This was not helped by
what transpired next. A TV crew from Fox News showed up at the polls and
asked the head judge if they could interview me. The head judge called a
"super" judge at the county and came back and said no. The reporter asked
to speak to the super judge, named Jackie, and was obviously not getting
anywhere. She left rather angry, with a nasty exchange with head judge Jim
and some unpleasant words with head judge Marie. I felt very
uncomfortable. At that moment, there were no more voters in the room, and
I offered to everyone in the room that I was not here to pull a publicity
stunt, and that I would agree not to speak with any reporters throughout
the day. This was a serious responsibility and duty that I took with the
utmost respect for the system, and I would not let it turn into a mockery.
A few minutes later, though, a photographer from the Baltimore Sun showed
up with a reporter in tow. The same routine happened, only this time, they
allowed the photographer to take pictures of me working and checking in
voters and programming smartcards. However, they would not let the
reporter talk to me. An angry exchange ensued, and when he left, I felt
that tempers were pretty hot.

Once again, I reiterated my intensions of being nothing more than an
objective judge today. The situation was worsened when one voter had a
problem with his card which the voting machine spit out. He was given a
new card, but I was concerned, and so I asked head judge Marie to count
the ballots and check them against the count in the machine after he left.
She did, and the count was fine. The smartcard really had failed and it
was fixed. However, I overheard head judge Jim complain to Joy that I had
made a big deal about that incident because the Baltimore Sun reporter was
there. That was not true. It was a coincidence.

Over the next several hours, we all were busy checking in voters and
dealing with running the election. Everybody calmed down, and we started
joking around with each other and the mood became more positive. We only
had one other minor press incident during the day. During breaks, I
decided to educate Marie and Joy about the security problems of electronic
voting machines. Amazingly, they really started to get it. They confessed
that they had been ready to fight me, and that there was great animosity
towards me, but that, in their words, I wasn't "such a bad guy after all".
At the same time, I started realizing that some of the attacks described
in our initial paper were actually quite unrealistic, at least in a
precinct with judges who worked as hard as ours did and who were as
vigilant. At the same time, I found that I had underestimated some of the
threats before. I think that being an election judge was the best thing I
could have possibly done to learn about the real security of elections.

In our paper, we described how the smartcards used by these machines had
no cryptography on them, and we made the widely criticized claim that a
teenager in a garage could manufacture smartcards and use them to vote 20
times. I now believe that this particular attack is not a real threat --
at least not in the primary I worked today. We had 9 judges and 5
machines. Whenever a voter took what seemed to be too long, we always had
a judge ask them if they needed help, or if something was wrong. Also, the
machines make a loud clicking sound when the smartcard is ejected, and we
almost always had a judge standing there waiting to collect the card and
give the voter a sticker, as they are ushered out.

In general, multiple voting attacks during the election are not likely to
work in a precinct such as the one where I worked. Every hour or so, we
counted all of the voter authorization cards (different from the
smartcards), which were in an envelope taped to the machine, and compared
them to the number of votes counted by the machine so far. I believe that
if any voter somehow managed to vote multiple times, that it would be
detected within an hour. I have no idea what we would do in that
situation. In fact, I think we'd have a serious problem on our hands, but
at least we would know it.

Every hour, we also counted the totals on the machines and compared them
to the totals in the registration roster that we used to check people in.
I was amazed at the number of countings and pieces of paper that we
shuffled throughout the day in what was billed as a paperless electronic
election.

There were also some security issues that I found to be much worse than I
expected. All of the tallies are kept on PCMCIA cards. At the end of the
election, each of those cards is loaded onto one machine, designated as
the zero machine. (I found it interesting that Diebold numbered the
machines 0 through n-1, disproving my notion that they don't have anyone
on board who knows anything about Computer Science.) The zero machine is
then connected to a modem, and the tallies are sent to a central place,
where they are incorporated with the tallies of other precincts. In our
case, the phone line was not working properly, so we went to the backup
plan. The zero machine combined all the tallies from the PCMCIA cards that
were loaded one at a time onto the machine. It then printed out the final
tallies. One copy of that went onto the outside door of the building where
there were talliers and poll watchers eagerly waiting. The other was put
into a pouch with all of the PCMCIA cards, each wrapped in a printed tally
of the machine to which it corresponds, and that pouch was driven by the
two head judges to the board of elections office.

The security risk I saw was that Diebold had designated which machine
would be the zero machine, and at one point, all of the vote tallies were
loaded onto that one machine in memory. That would be the perfect point to
completely change the tallies. There is no need to attack all of the
machines at a precinct if someone could tamper with the zero machine. In
fact, even when the modem is used, it is only the zero machine that makes
the call. In the code we examined, that phone call is not protected
correctly with cryptography. Perhaps that has been fixed. I was glad to
see that the administrator PIN actually used in the election was not the
1111 that we used in our training, and that we had seen in the code.

One thing absolutely amazed me. With very few exceptions, the voters
really LOVED the machines. They raved about them to us judges. The most
common comment was "That was so easy." I can see why people take so much
offense at the notion that the machines are completely insecure. Given my
role today, I just smiled and nodded. I was not about to tell voters that
the machines they had just voted on were so insecure. I was curious that
voters did not seem to question how their votes were recorded. The voter
verifiability that I find so precious did not seem to be on the minds of
these voters. One woman did come up to Joy and complain that she wanted a
paper ballot to verify. But, Joy managed to convince her that these
machines were state of the art and that there was nothing to worry about,
which was followed by a smile and a wink in my direction. I just kept
quiet, given the circumstances. As an election judge, my job is to make
the election work as well as possible, and creating doubts in the voters'
minds at the polls does not figure into my idea of responsible behavior.
Perhaps the lightest moment in the day came when one voter standing at his
machine asked in the most deadpan voice, "What do I do if it says it is
rebooting?" Head judge Marie turned white, and Joy's mouth dropped. My
heart started to beat quickly, when he laughed and said "just kidding."
There was about a two second pause of silence followed by roaring laughter
from everyone.

I found the reaction to that joke interesting. Everybody was willing to
believe that this had happened, and yet when it became clear that it
didn't, we all felt relief. I'm sure that the other judges would have
claimed that this was impossible, and yet, for a brief instant, they all
thought it had happened.

There were a few unusual moments related to my previous work on e-voting.
Several people recognized me from TV appearances and from the paper.
Yesterday, I was on two CNN shows and the local ABC station criticising
Diebold's voting machines, and last week, I was on the Today show and on
TechTV. One voter who I was checking in, leaned over and said, "I know who
you are." I just smiled. Then he asked me if he should even bother voting,
and if I thought the machines would "hold out". I answered that my views
were well known, but that today I was an election judge. Another voter
asked me, "Aren't you that hacker guy?"

In the beginning of the election, we printed a "zero tape" of each
machine. I found this to be the kind of charade that a confidence man
would play when performing some sleight of hand. So, the machines printed
each candidates name with a zero next to it. Somehow, that is supposed to
mean that there are no votes counted on the machine? I don't know. I think
I could write a five line computer program that would print the zero
tally, and I don't see how that ties into the security of the election. In
fact, that was not the only procedure that I thought served more as eye
candy than real security. For example, the process for collecting the
smartcards was for the unit judge to take the card from the voter and put
it on a piano that was across the room. Every 15 minutes or so, the unit
judge would take the cards and give them back to us book judges. When a
Diebold rep showed up, I asked her about this, and she said that it was
done to give the voters a sense that nothing was being kept on the
smartcards about their voting session. After my experience today, I can
say with total confidence that this would not have ocurred to any of the
voters we had.

There was a very funny moment around 2:00 in the afternoon. A voter
complained that she was a Democrat but had been given the Republican
ballot. This required both head judges to void the ballot. It turned out
that this had been my mistake when I coded the smartcard. In fact, I was
the only one the entire day who made such a mistake. The less than young
judges had a good time constantly reminding me of who the careless judge
was at this election. One of them commented to me that there are many
young people who are incompetent and many old people who can manage an
election just fine, thank you.

I continue to believe that the Diebold voting machines represent a huge
threat to our democracy. I fundamentally believe that we have thrown our
trust in the outcome of our elections in the hands of a handful of
companies (Diebold, Sequoia, ES&S) who are in a position to control the
final outcomes of our elections. I also believe that the outcomes can be
changed without any knowledge by election judges or anyone else.
Furthermore, meaningful recounts are impossible with these machines.

I also believe that we have great people working in the trenches and on
the front lines. These are ordinary people, mostly elderly, who believe in
our country and our democracy, and who work their butts off for 16 hours,
starting at 6 a.m. to try to keep the mechanics of our elections running
smoothly. It is a shame that the e-voting tidal wave has a near hypnotic
effect on these judges and almost all voters. I believe that after today's
experience, I am much better equipped to make the arguments against
e-voting machines with no voter verifiability, but I also have a great
appreciation for how hard it is going to be to fight them, given how much
voters and election officials love them.

We were not allowed to use cell phones or access email all day. On my way
home from the polls, I called my voicemail at work. I had messages and
requests for interviews from ABC News, the Baltimore Sun, the Washington
Post, Wired News, CNN, several radio stations and the New York Times. So,
this issue is not going away. Over the next few days, I'll be discussing
my experience and probably sparring with the usual suspects in the various
media outlets. My biggest fear is that super Tuesday will be viewed as a
big success. By all accounts, everyone at my precinct felt that way. The
more e-voting is viewed as successful, the more it will be adopted, and
the greater the risk when someone decides to actually exploit the
weaknesses of these systems.

It's now almost midnight, and I've been up since 5:00 a.m. I'm falling
asleep as I type this, so I will end here. Good night.