Re: Hand Counting and Luddites

The main argument against end-of-day-precinct-hand-counting is that there are not enough people to do it--and to observe it. Lynn Landes and others have suggested using the jury-duty mechanism which is already in place to select people for election-duty (and some use the term "election-jurors" for the people who would work under this system).

I am not sure what is most feasible, hand-counting or scanner counting.  I believe that a well-run hand-count would be more accurate, since people can determine the clear intent of the voter more easily than a machine. But why decide up front? Why force a group of people to decide up front something which might be more easily decided and resolved later?

Why not just demand paper ballots whether hand-marked or machine-created-and-marked (for those able voters who prefer the machine, and those disabled voters who prefer machine assistance to persons' assistance), AND the paper ballots to be either hand-counted, or scanner-counted with a high random percentage of hand-count audits?

Note that in Vermont, immediately upon opening the ballot box, they separate the ballots into batches of 50 ballots each for counting by teams, and each team double-counts a batch before going on to the next batch. This is a very simple system that most people can do. In fact it is much simpler and cheaper than having 200 roving vendor-technicians, hotlines to help pollworkers where the computers fail, etc. So whether or not you hand-count depends on how many people you have, and a willingness to try something new. You could have public demonstrations of hand-counting, or sponsor contests for hand-counting teams. Get some unused paper ballots from an old election, and mark them, and see what team can count them most accurately and quickly. Great publicity.

Teresa

Robert Mcgrath wrote:

We are headed that way with some of our language in our draft CFVI POsition
Paper, where we say that people vote, not machines. (thanks in part to Lynn
Landes for her thoughts on this as well).

Where we are stuck is whether we insist upon hand counting or optical scan
counting with sample hand counts.