Here's what the Daily Times-Call had to say.

Here’s what the Daily Times-Call had to say.

Al

CAMBER

Citizens for Accurate Mail Ballot Election Results

2867 Tincup Circle

Boulder, CO 80305

303-494-1540

AlKolwicz@xxxxxxxxx

www.users.qwest.net/~alkolwicz

County OKs ‘Ballot Now’ vote system

By Trevor Hughes
The Daily Times-Call

BOULDER — Deciding that having every vote counted by hand was simply too difficult, Boulder County leaders have agreed to buy a system that will electronically count paper ballots.

The Boulder County Commissioners on Thursday approved the $1.5 million purchase of the “Ballot Now” system manufactured by a local company.

The approval came after a two-hour public meeting and a discernable level of trepidation among the commissioners.

Elections officials say machines offer a greater level of reliability and reduce the chance of human-introduced counting errors. Skeptics say hand-counting would improve trust even if it takes longer and might occasionally be slightly inaccurate.

“I would much prefer to see the most primitive voting system possible,” said Martin Walter of Nebo Road.

Added Alyne Galm: “To err is human. To really foul things up takes a computer. I’d rather have human error than computer error.”

Commissioner Paul Danish agreed in principle, but said hand-counting would take too long. The county’s current punch-card system also uses a computer, albeit a much dumber one, to count votes. That system has been declared illegal by Congress.

“If I had my druthers, if I thought it was physically possible, I’d want a hand count,” Danish said. “The problem is I don’t think it’s practical to have a hand count in a general election.”

Under state law, the same system that counted the votes must be used to recount them, if there are questions about accuracy or fraud.

That means with a computer-counting system, vote totals will always be the same because the law prohibits a review of the actual paper votes. Skeptics said the best way to avoid that problem would be to hand-count everything the first time.

Danish and other officials said that with 162,000 registered voters deciding about 30 candidates or issues per ballot, the work would be too much for human counters. Under such a scenario, there would be 4.8 million individual selections to tally.

Responded resident Al Kolwicz: “The people will wait for a trustworthy result.”

Danish says he believes Kolwicz and other hand-count voters should petition the state legislature to change the law. Kolwicz and other voting-integrity advocates say they are considering a lawsuit to stop the use of electronic systems until national standards are created.

“We’ve got a situation that is terribly unjust but possibly legal,” Kolwicz said following the meeting. “The courts can help us fight illegalities. It might take an election or recall to obtain justice.”

While the commissioners have approved the purchase, they are accepting written public comments until April 27, when they will approve the actual contract with Hart InterCivic of Lafayette.

Click on www.co.boulder.co.us/bocc to view the proposed voting system contract and to submit written comments.

Trevor Hughes can be reached at 303-776-2244, Ext. 220, or by e-mail at thughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx