Stop the internet voting bill

Dear Senators and Representatives,

I was shocked, after all the evidence and agreement we've gotten over
the years about the problems of electronic ballots, to just hear that
the Colorado Senate is pushing for internet voting.  Please put a stop
to this!

I am a consultant to Internet2 on Internet security and
authentication.  I know how difficult the problems are and how bad the
state of security is out there.

Previous trials have been halted after it was demonstrated that given
the current problems with security of computers and the Internet, any
sort of internet voting is far too vulnerable to a plethora of
problems.  See for example this official report, which concludes
that documents how easy it would be for any of a wide variety of
people, foreign and domestic, to subvert an election that included
any substantial amount of voting over the Internet:

 A Security Analysis of the Secure Electronic Registration and Voting
 Experiment (SERVE)

 http://servesecurityreport.org/

 [SERVE] has numerous other fundamental security problems that leave
 it vulnerable to a variety of well-known cyber attacks (insider
 attacks, denial of service attacks, spoofing, automated vote buying,
 viral attacks on voter PCs, etc.), any one of which could be
 catastrophic.

 Such attacks could occur on a large scale, and could be launched by
 anyone from a disaffected lone individual to a well-financed enemy
 agency outside the reach of U.S. law. These attacks could result in
 large-scale, selective voter disenfranchisement, and/or privacy
 violation, and/or vote buying and selling, and/or vote switching even
 to the extent of reversing the outcome of many elections at once,
 including the presidential election. With care in the design, some of
 the attacks could succeed and yet go completely undetected. Even if
 detected and neutralized, such attacks could have a devastating
 effect on public confidence in elections.

 Such attacks could occur on a large scale, and could be launched by
 anyone from a disaffected lone individual to a well-financed enemy
 agency outside the reach of U.S. law. These attacks could result in
 large-scale, selective voter disenfranchisement, and/or privacy
 violation, and/or vote buying and selling, and/or vote switching even
 to the extent of reversing the outcome of many elections at once,
 including the presidential election. With care in the design, some of
 the attacks could succeed and yet go completely undetected. Even if
 detected and neutralized, such attacks could have a devastating
 effect on public confidence in elections.

 It is impossible to estimate the probability of a successful
 cyber-attack (or multiple successful attacks) on any one
 election. But we show that the attacks we are most concerned about
 are quite easy to perpetrate. In some cases there are kits readily
 available on the Internet that could be modified or used directly for
 attacking an election. And we must consider the obvious fact that a
 U.S. general election offers one of the most tempting targets for
 cyber-attack in the history of the Internet, whether the attacker's
 motive is overtly political or simply self-aggrandizement.

 The vulnerabilities we describe cannot be fixed by design changes or
 bug fixes to SERVE. These vulnerabilities are fundamental in the
 architecture of the Internet and of the PC hardware and software that
 is ubiquitous today. They cannot all be eliminated for the
 foreseeable future without some unforeseen radical breakthrough. It
 is quite possible that they will not be eliminated without a
 wholesale redesign and replacement of much of the hardware and
 software security systems that are part of, or connected to, today's
 Internet.

Please stop this bill.

Thank you,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
Boulder CO
303-494-6493
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60