Re: BBV update

Tom, Ralph, et al.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. We are all rightfully worried about the integrity of electronic vote counting/marking systems. But our distrust should be directed towards the private companies that do not offer full disclosure of their code -- not towards the concept, which is elegant and implementable.

As I mentioned in my lengthy response to Kellen, computers are far more reliable than people when it comes to simple arithmatic. If humans are to provide the final (or only) say when it comes to the final results, I want to be able to trust them at least as much as I trust my calculator. The fact that we NEED recounts only belies how imprecise human counting is. If a human count provides a different result than a computer count, the burden of proof lies with the humans to show where the computer went wrong. Unless this can be done, humans are the more likely culprit.

The beauty of an open source electronic solution is that IT COULD ACTUALLY SAVE MONEY over a paper-based solution. There is no need to buy expensive equipment such as optical scanners or even punch card readers. A personal computer with a printer (such as you already find at the public library) would be it. A voter-verifiable list obviates the need to do statistical samples. Our government doesn't need to pay for any of this. There are thousands of talented coders out there who would volunteer to write code for free.

Lastly, I'm tired of hearing the same old refrain "computer systems are notoriously insecure." These worms and viruses we hear so much about, you know who they are hitting -- Microsoft. Hackers are making a point about how terribly insecure Microsoft's operating system is. Yes, there are breakins on Linux/Unix based systems, but they are on a much smaller scale. Partly because these system admins keep a tighter ship than normal folks, but also because the minute a bug is detected, some open source guru in Illinois, Burma, or Kreplachistan is writing a patch. Not so for Microsoft. Like any private company with proprietary code, they have limited ability to quickly fix bugs.

Nick