www.cfvi.org

From: Nicholas Bernstein <nicholas.bernstein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Robert Mcgrath <mcgrath_mcnally@xxxxxxx>
CC: evan@xxxxxxxx, cmehesy@xxxxxxxxxxx, davide475@xxxxxxxx, david.ellington@xxxxxxxxxxx, summerstorm03@xxxxxxxxxxx, donna@xxxxxxxxxxxx, jpezzillo@xxxxxxxxx, mlambie@xxxxxxxxx, texico86@xxxxxxx, peter.raich@xxxxxxxx, TresCeeA@xxxxxxx, pklammer@xxxxxxx, AlKolwicz@xxxxxxxxx, cvv-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Null Hypothesis
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:08:13 -0600

Bob,

I think you've hit upon a very trenchant issue. I would repose it like this, "In looking at electronic voting systems, who has the burden of proof? Is it up to proponents of electronic voting to prove the superiority of electronic systems, or the detractors to prove the fallibility?"

Proponents say, "Just look at Florida in 2000. Paper doesn't work!"
Detractors say, "Just look at the security holes in Deibold machines. Electronics can't be trusted!"

I would claim that they are both right. Neither method should be trusted based solely on the failures of the other. The only way to reliablilty compare the two is to have them go head-to-head. And the only way to do this is with a paper printout.

Call it a "ballot" or a "receipt". The difference is moot. Until one system has proven its superiority over the other, there should be a complete count of paper and electronic ballots. If a unique ballot ID can link the two, anomolies can be investigated on a case by case basis.

There are those people who are afraid of such a head-to-head comparisons because they worry that the electronic count will trump the paper one. I think the question of which method should be trusted in case of anomolies is minor compared to coming up with a measure of the relative accuracy. If we get nothing else, we learn that there is an x% discrepancy rate. That, in itself, is very valuable.

If we really want to unambiguously resolve discrepancies, then we need a method for letting the voters themselves resolve them. I have proposed variations on this theme before, but here is another try. At the voting place, a SECOND RECEIPT is printed that contains ONLY THE UNIQUE ID. The user can take that home. Discrepant ballot IDs are posted. If your ballot is one of those in question, your second receipt provides you admission to a session where you can cast a clarification ballot. Obviously there are many details to work out, but this system would maintain anonymity, guard against miscounts, and let voters know when their ballot has been invalidated.

Nick

--
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/