Re: Optical-scan equipment problems in California

FYI - After the TV show last night I mentioned to Donetta, since we know she's extremely concerned about certification, that Boulder County had used an uncertified Diebold system in November 2003 and asked her if anyone would be held accountable for that since they talked on the program about penalties being the key disincentive preventing improper actions by elections officials. She said she didn't know anything about it, despite the fact her office verified this had been the case and would theoretically be responsible for assuring these things don't happen (and for any penalties?), especially in a live election, presumably. What do I know, I'm not an elected representative after all.

You should also have seen (IEEE Voting Machine Study Group member) Pete Klammer's note earlier that Donetta claimed in writing to Senate President Andrews today that there are NO federally or state certified VVPAT systems, which is either glaring lack of knowledge in a key area she's responsible for, or worse, since:

a.    AccuPoll[1] produces a federally certified, accessible, VVPAT-equipped DRE system.[2] The company is actively pursuing state contracts and expects to have equipment in the field for the November, 2004 election. The American Council of the Blind lists AccuPoll as an accessible voting system manufacturer.[3]

b.    Avante’s[4] Vote-Trakker[5] is a federally certified, accessible, VVPAT-equipped DRE. It is fully state-certified in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Utah, and West Virginia, and certification is pending in several other states.[6] The American Council of the Blind lists the Vote-Trakker as an accessible voting system.[7]
The Avante VoteTrakker model 4.4.3 has NASED #03120000443-1990.

c. Sequoia Voting Systems,[8] the country’s third-largest election equipment manufacturer, will have a VVPAT-equipped AVC Edge[9] on the market by the summer of 2004. The unit will be deployed in every Nevada election jurisdiction in time for the 2004 presidential election.[10]

And so what do we expect lobbying the SoS' office is going to do for us, exactly? Who will represent us to assure trustworthy elections?

Joe