Good Work Boulder: Clerk Delays Purchase

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:  Josh Liss, Elections Coordinator, 303-961-2775 or
Barb Halpin, Boulder County Public Information Officer, at 303-441-1622

County Clerk postpones purchase of new voting equipment

In a move to assure Boulder County voters that the upcoming 2006 primary and general elections will produce an accurate, timely and secure tallying of votes, the Boulder County Clerk and Recorder’s office decided today to not pursue a Request for Proposals (RFP) for acquiring new voting equipment for Boulder County in 2006.

Boulder County Clerk and Recorder Linda Salas and her staff decided to use existing voting equipment after thoroughly reviewing public input provided in recent weeks and analyzing ongoing technical and legal challenges in other counties and states. As a result of this assessment, Salas determined that her office did not want to subject Boulder County to the same problems currently being experienced across the nation.

“When we do purchase new equipment, we want to make sure we make an informed decision that provides an accurate, reliable system to the people of Boulder County. We want a system that the voters will have confidence in, and one that we as election administrators have confidence in as well,” Salas said. “There are still too many unresolved technical and legal issues with the new voting equipment offered on the market for us to feel secure in making a purchase of new equipment for Boulder County this year. This is a very important decision and one that should not be rushed.”

Using Boulder County’s existing voting machines which digitally scan paper ballots will allow elections officials to conduct this year’s elections with equipment they have experience with, and procedures already in place. This decision will also allow for a much longer timeline to facilitate a full public process in purchasing new equipment.

Ben Pearlman, Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, commended the Boulder County Clerk for her decision and noted the benefits of delaying the purchase of new equipment until such equipment has been thoroughly tested in other parts of the country and certified by the State of Colorado.

“With so many unanswered issues surrounding the use of new voting equipment in other parts of the country, the Commissioners consider it a very wise decision for the Clerk to wait and evaluate the performance of new voting systems before recommending the purchase of a new system for Boulder County,” Pearlman said. “By waiting for the dust to settle on these ongoing challenges, Boulder County can make a better decision in the next year or two and allocate taxpayer money in the most judicious manner possible.”

County officials also want to make sure that enough time is allowed to explore emerging technologies that allow disabled voters to vote in privacy and ensure secure, verifiable voting results at every election. By not confining themselves to an ever-tightening timelime for new equipment research and testing this year, election officials can come to a better understanding of evolving requirements and equipment for future years’ elections.

Boulder County is mandated this year to comply with regulations associated with the Help America Vote Act (HAVA), which requires counties to provide persons with disabilities an accessible and private manner in which to vote without the assistance of a poll worker. In order to comply with the HAVA requirements, the Clerk’s office will pursue the option of renting qualifying equipment in time for the 2006 primary and general elections.

Rental of the equipment would allow Boulder County to satisfy HAVA requirements while delaying the larger financial commitment of purchasing new elections equipment. Boulder County is set to receive $1 million in Federal funds to enable compliance with HAVA regulations; elections officials had expected to spend up to an additional $2.6 million on new voting systems, but now that expenditure will be delayed so that officials may evaluate voting technologies and make a more informed decision for purchasing equipment at a later date.

“Rental of equipment this year would give the Clerk’s office time to evaluate its use in Boulder County and also allow more time to evaluate different equipment used in other counties without a permanent commitment to unfamiliar and untested technology,” Elections Coordinator Josh Liss said. “As of right now, there are several bills before Congress proposing amendments to the Help America Vote Act, which could significantly change the requirements for Boulder County by the time we’re ready to make a more permanent decision. We’d like to see how some of this plays out before we make such a large commitment.”

The Clerk’s office has confirmed with the Office of the Secretary of State that federally-directed HAVA funds can be used to cover a significant portion, if not all, of the costs of renting equipment for this year’s elections, thereby posing little or no fiscal impact to Boulder County in 2006.

-30-