FW: PRESS 10222006 It's a must: hackerproof democracy

From: Al Kolwicz [mailto:alkolwicz@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 10:50 AM
To: 'Al Kolwicz'
Subject: PRESS 10222006 It's a must: hackerproof democracy

denver & the west

It's a must: hackerproof democracy

By Diane Carman
Denver Post Staff Columnist
DenverPost.com

Article Last Updated:10/22/2006 03:49:04 AM MDT

It's been four weeks since a judge said the secretary of state had done an "abysmal" job of certifying the security of the state's voting system and ordered emergency measures to try to ensure the integrity of the voting process.

That's 19 business days for clerks in all 64 Colorado counties to install video surveillance of voting machines, run background checks on anyone charged with transporting the equipment, put numbered security seals on all machines, provide climate-controlled storage and fulfill the rest of the judge's requirements before early voting begins.

Larimer County Clerk and Recorder Scott Doyle has called it "craziness."

He said the increased security measures could cost taxpayers $300,000 to $400,000, and "I felt very secure in what our processes were before."

Alton Dillard, spokesman for the Denver Election Commission, said the new requirements are expected to cost Denver about $120,000.

"We didn't go from no security to security," he said. "But this was one of those occurrences where there wasn't an option. It was a court order."

While county clerks and the besieged Secretary of State Gigi Dennis have tried to reassure voters that the systems always have been secure, the eight-page findings of fact and conclusions of law released last week by Denver District Judge Lawrence Manzanares paint a picture of a flawed patchwork system, vulnerable to manipulation and suffering from lax oversight by the secretary of state.

"The court concludes that the secretary has not established minimum security" as required by state statute "and did not adequately test" the electronic voting machines, Manzanares wrote. The secretary's office "did not carefully evaluate the county security plans and in some cases approved plans that do not substantially comply with the minimum requirements" of the law.

The judge's stinging criticism was particularly worrisome in light of the testimony that computer scientists from Prince ton University hacked into a voting machine made by Diebold Election Systems Inc. and reprogrammed it in one minute.

Diebold is one of four companies providing voting machines in Colorado.

Not just incidentally, it's also the company that was represented by lobbyist and convicted felon Jack Abramoff while the House Government Operations Committee was establishing rules for electronic voting systems. And that committee was chaired by Rep. Bob Ney of Ohio, another convicted felon.

The whole spectacle - along with the close presidential elections in 2000 and 2004 - has fueled the imaginations of Internet conspiracy theorists for years.

So it's no wonder that requests for absentee ballots are pouring into elections offices across Colorado this fall.

Dillard said Denver has processed about 55,000 requests, and they continue to arrive at a rate of about 1,000 a day. Doyle said 46,000 of the 151,000 active registered voters in Larimer County also have requested absentee ballots so far.

Myriah Conroy, the lead plaintiff in the complaint against the secretary of state, said the issue of electronic voting machine security is far from resolved. Time constraints limited what could be accomplished before Nov. 7, but it's not enough.

"The judge almost went so far as to decertify the system for future elections," she said. "A lot more needs to be done."

Paul Hultin, the attorney with Wheeler Trigg Kennedy who handled the voter security complaint pro bono, said, "This is just the beginning."

The plaintiffs fully intend to pressure whoever is elected to be the next secretary of state to develop a secure voting system for all future elections.

"If we're going to have a democracy we're proud of, we need more people to vote and we need them to have trust and confidence in the voting process," Hultin said. "People feel passionately about it."

With good reason.

If the U.S. is willing to sacrifice life and limb for the cause of democracy abroad, the least it can do is find the money to keep it from becoming a laughingstock at home.

Diane Carman's column appears Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. She can be reached at 303-954-1489 or dcarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.