-----Original Message-----
From: pam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 6:19 PM
To: AlKolwicz@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'Andrew G. Silver'; lobbyists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
stopvotefraud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ncverifiablevoting@xxxxxxxxx; Citizens for
Verifiable Voting; Dr. Charles Corry; Sheila Horton; Pete Klammer; Bob
Mcgrath; Carol Mehesy; Donna Plutschuck; Monty Lambie; Peter Raich; Tracy
Abell
Subject: RE: [stopvotefraud] Re: [VerifiedVoting.org lobbyists] Ensign Bill
S2437

Hello Al - Before I comment on your comments, below, let me
say that I consider voter-verified paper ballots on touch-screens essential
but not sufficient.  If a touch-screen is to be used at all, it MUST have a
voter-verified paper ballot, but there's more to it than that.

Whether they SHOULD be used at all is a separate question.
But they ARE being used and/or are about to be used in
many places.

If a bill that calls for a VVPB gets passed at this point,
it may mean that if counties DO BUY THEM... then they
would buy them with VVPBs... or WAIT to buy them so as
to avoid an expensive retrofit in the near future.
Counties' having to delay the purchase of paperless
DREs gives us a chance to get them to reconsider a better alternative, such
as optical-scan or other paper ballots... especially if they have to "deal
with paper anyway."  Case in point:  Ohio, where the legislature recently
agreed that VVPBs would be required in the near future.  Suddenly LOTS of
counties that had been on the verge of getting new touchscreens have delayed
their decision (at last count, 22 out of 31).

Quoting alkolwicz <alkolwicz@xxxxxxxxx>:

> The "audit trail" bills are intended to deceive voters into believing
> that they are verifying the votes that will decide an election.  This
> is not what these bills do.

It may be that some bills are introduced with a deceptive intent. I don't
believe that's the case for all such bills. BUT... that being said, the
Colorado perspective naturally is affected by the CO law that says only the
original counting method can be used.  Thus VVPBs are insignificant in CO
unless they are the first line of count.

Other states (such as CA, where I live) have quite
different rules about recounts.  Here ANYONE has the right
to ask for a recount, and if the original was done by electronic means, the
recount can be done electronically, manually, or both.  (That's why here in
CA we point out that DREs that LACK a VVPB don't comply with state law...
because they don't allow for a meaningful MANUAL recount.)

> Instead, voters would be verifying a secondary document that: (1) does
> not necessarily reflect the voter's choices, (2) is printed in a form
> that is excessively difficult for voters to verify and costly for
> officials to use for independent counting and (3) is not the official
> ballot and will rarely be counted.

Voter-verification of a paper ballot, to me, means that
if the voter's choices are NOT reflected on the paper
they review, that they get to spoil the ballot and
start over.  It's not verification if the choices shown
are not what you intended.  If a bill doesn't allow
the voter to do it over, then it is not a good bill.

The manner of printout for a VVPB from a touchscreen or
DRE would depend on design, which surely varies from
one vendor to another.  Diebold Election Systems, in a bid, told Santa Clara
County in CA that it already had the capability to print what they refer to
as a "voter receipt."  But they're talking about the on-board thermal roll
used for the zero tapes and the tally tapes at the end of the day... the
sample looked much like an ATM receipt.  I would agree that both reviewing
and hand-counting of such printouts would be unpleasant (but I'd take it,
over no printout at all, if it means I can confirm my vote was recorded as
intended).

On the other hand, I saw a demonstration of an AccuPoll printout, which came
out on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. The print could have been larger, but
that's a design change... it was simple to discern one's choices, though.

We've been told that some DREs are capable of
printing an "image of the ballot cast" which may be
a screen-shot of the summary screen on the DRE.  If that
is the case, it should be pretty easy to read.  Certainly
no harder than the summary screen on the DRE...  But I
haven't seen any of those personally.

Finally, which governs--paper or electronic:  One of
the things I noted about the Ensign bill is
that the specific language about the paper document
spells out that it GOVERNS in the case of any discrepancy.

Procedural rules about whether the paper should be the
ONLY thing counted or the FIRST thing counted or should
ALWAYS be counted are left out... presumably because
states (like CO) won't want to be told how they should count; in other
words, a "states rights thing" as we heard often in DC recently... and that
may end up being a separate battle, which is why groups like CAMBER and CFVI
are so crucially important.

Having a paper ballot to count so that the voter can
verify that his/her vote was recorded as intended,
whether that comes in the form of a VVPB or an optical
scan ballot or a hand-mark, hand-count paper ballot,
is the FIRST requirement.

By itself, it isn't sufficient.

But it is necessary.